Saturday, January 3, 2009

Record Album Beads


The Husband and I went to Vegas a year and a half ago. Anywhere I go, I have to check out the bead shops in the area. This one, Vegas Beads, was across the street from a nudie club. Ah, after all, it’s Vegas…



So, they had these long strings of reddish heishe beads (like discs) that were kind of interesting looking. They became way more interesting when I realized they were made from those old red record albums I remember from long ago. My mother had some from the 50’s. “Nola” might have been one of those red 45’s. Anyway, I had to have them. And I’ve had them sitting on my work desk for a year and a half.



Now that I’m playing with chain and jump rings, I thought they’d be great to hang from some chain. These two projects were done while watching the Rose Parade on New Year’s.


Here’s the necklace. I staggered the jump rings, every other one being bigger than the ones between, for a pattern to please the eye. Working with chain is cool because I can always make something smaller if the buyer chooses.

And here’s the earrings. They were so much fun to make! Don’t they look like a bunch of red grapes?


Tomorrow, I’ll be posting the anklets I made recently, if I don’t get too caught up in cleaning the house (LOL!).



We actually saw the sun today, for a few minutes. Dang, it’s been gloomy and cold all weekend. But I’m grateful it isn’t snowing and that our heater is working. Gotta look on the bright side!

www.bearchick.etsy.com
www.bearchickart.etsy.com

1 comment:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

These are very pretty! I bet they look even better on because they're able to move. I'm happy to read that those albums are being recycled into beads and not thrown away.

It's crazy to think that my son will have no idea what a record is and probably will never see one in person.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Yes, I will post the link (maybe even his painting if he approves)as soon as he sends it in.