Friday, May 9, 2008

Keep Moving!

This is what I have to keep reminding myself to do. I have a sedentary job (accounting) and at home I get involved in jewelry making, creating art or sitting at the computer, finding ways to sell the jewelry and art. When I get up from these chair bound pursuits, I’m stiff and achy. Not to mention that I’m hauling more weight around lately from lack of exercise.

So, I recently got a DVD by Leslie Sansone, who specializes in walking workouts. I bought one each for my parents several years ago. They live in New England and find it hard to walk in the winter, so this seemed like a perfect solution and they both said they liked their versions (she has several DVD’s out with different lengths and intensities). Since I don’t seem to have the time to go outside for a walk lately, I thought it might be a good idea to bring the walk inside to me.

Tonight I finally had my first opportunity to try the workout. I’ve been exercising but not as consistently as I’d like, so out of the 5 mile walk, I chose one of the 3 mile versions. Didn’t want to over do it… Sitting here now, I’m really feeling it in my legs and back. And that makes me feel like I’m doing something good for myself, which actually is long overdue, health-wise.

Five Mile Walk is sort of a misnomer, in that you’re also doing some low kicks, side to sides and a few other simple moves. Leslie changes the pace, incorporates some upper body movement and includes weights and bands as an option to some of the workouts. It’s very low impact aerobics and she gives you the opportunity to pace yourself--just keep moving. What I really like is that you don’t need a whole gym sized room to do the workout. The routine can be done in a very small space, which is a real plus for me. And, even though I didn’t find Leslie’s cheery chatter too annoying, you have the option of having a music only soundtrack once you get used to the routines.

So, if your interests are like mine, that keep us sitting for too long during the day (and evening, sometimes into the wee hours…), a workout like this is something to think about. I always feel so much better when I’m getting exercise. I’ve also been going through one of my dreaded insomnia phases, so I’m hoping for a little relief from that, too.

Today I did a lot of errands with Dean, since this is our only day off together this week. I mixed some paint and prepped a couple of mixed media boards I wanted to start on. I also looked through some magazines for another project I’m planning on paper dolls. This weekend, I’m hoping to get some more polymer done for a necklace and a bunch of ATC’s.

Tune in again real soon!

No comments: