Wednesday, December 22, 2010

De-Cember is De-Clutter Month


I've been thinking a lot lately about where I want to go with my jewelry and other creative outlets. I've been revising an order to my wholesaler for over a month-yes, it's become an epic struggle to figure out what I want to concentrate on next year. So far, here's what I'm planning:

Teaching is a big one. Half of my wholesale order is materials for kits for classes I'm planning.

Chainmaille is high on my list because I love doing it and I want to do it in more colors and learn new, more intricate patterns.




Sterling Silver, on a small scale. Sterling is sooooo expensive… More earrings, a few charm bracelets and one spectacular necklace is what I'm planning, as a way to ease myself into it.



Upcycling. I love going to yard sales and finding old jewelry to either resell in my vintage shop, Bearchicksundries, or remake into new jewelry.



So, teaching and the three categories of jewelry are what I'm going to concentrate on next year. And I've decided that mixed media is not something I'm working on right now so for the next few weeks, I'm working on De-Cluttering my stash. Some things I've already given away and I've started one bag of donations and another to resell.

In 2011, my plan is to focus more on having fun with my jewelry and not worry so much about "business". What's the point of being creative if the business side stresses you out so much? I work full time, so my expenses are met.

I want to concentrate on learning more and making better jewelry. Sometimes I get sidetracked by wanting to make things that will "sell" and throw myself off track. It's a balancing act--do I want to sell a lot or do I want to sell the best jewelry I can make. I've decided I want to work harder on the better jewelry and make the little things when I have the urge. I still like to do the simple earrings, memory wire bracelets and things like that sometimes. My goal is to make my Etsy shop the better jewelry--chainmaille, sterling, upcycled, Swarovski, lampworked elements-- and the Artfire shop the "sellable" things--Simply Simple earrings, memory wire bracelets.

Bear Chick has been such an adventure. It's interesting to look back and see how far my little business has come. Next year is my tenth anniversary as a Jewelry Composer!


Do What You Love!

4 comments:

Sheeprustler said...

Good luck for next year, it sounds as though you have thought this through carefully. And Merry Christmas!

Bear Chick said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Judy!

Chris said...

I like your plan, Mary! I hope 2011 will be a good year for all. Merry Blessed Christmas~

Beatnheart said...

Hi I found you via Chris Kerr....I live in Long Beach so we are neighbors. I make jewlery too and some of the ideas you are having I’m Having too. All the best for the New Year...stop by sometime..