Friday, January 22, 2010

Getting Ready to Teach


Teaching is one of the things on my list of things to do for 2010. In August, I'll be teaching a class to make a certain chain weave, for earrings or a necklace.




I know when I take a class, I like to have detailed instructions that I can refer to when I'm home and can't remember how the heck that technique worked. So my plan is to have my nails done with a French manicure and have The Husband take some pictures as I make one of the sections of chain. Then I’ll create an instruction sheet, complete with photos and step by step explanations of the weave. After that, I'll make notes for me to speak from, first showing how you open a jump ring and ending with ideas for earrings, necklaces, bracelets and anklets.


I also need to come up with a materials and tool list. And samples of projects.

Sounds easy, right? Ahem... I think I left out the fear of public speaking... I've actually done a talk on home decor in my days as a redesigner, that I called Shelf Respect. I did it twice, complete with a shelf full of books, knick knacks and action figures. Not enough time to actually lose the jitters and soak in some self confidence... But since this will be more interactive, maybe it will be a bit easier. I always got the feeling that the people I was speaking to were rooting for me to enlighten and entertain them. My "students" will want the same thing, only they get to take home something pretty they made themselves, with my help.

If you teach a class, I'd be happy for any pointers/tips! I've got plenty of time to prepare and incorporate any helpful hints you can give!

Do What You Love!

No comments: