Friday, August 8, 2008

Eddie Izzard and Other Things in My Life


Well, I’ve gotten back to work full time, so creative and computer time are at a minimum. And I’ve spent a lot of time in the last couple of weeks making badge leashes for work. They decided we should wear our badges full time when we’re in the building. I like that idea, makes me feel a little more secure, but I didn’t want to just clip the badge to my clothes. So I made a leash out of seed beads with a couple of pretty focals near the badge. Everyone liked them so much, I made enough money to pay for parking and dinner for our Eddie Izzard night, plus I still have enough to take myself to a movie and lunch!




Not everyone knows who Eddie Izzard is… You probably know him if you’re a Monty Python fan. Or if you watch The Riches on FX. We think he’s the funniest and smartest comedian this side of Robin Williams. Last night, we got to see him perform for two solid hours at the Kodak Theatre in LA. We’d never been to the Hollywood and Highland mall before, so it was a new experience. I like to get to a place early, especially on a weeknight when traffic is likely, so we got into town around 4:15, for an 8 o’clock show. Had dinner at Johnny Rockets, wandered around the Virgin Megastore, where the security guards are tougher than Attica’s, and had some Cold Stone ice cream. The Kodak Theatre, where the Oscar’s are presented, is a beautiful place with gorgeous architecture and the theatre itself is smaller than it looks on TV. We had great seats and as people filed in, you could feel the anticipation for Eddie. The show started a half hour late--not sure if they held because people were coming in so late--but by the time Eddie appeared, we were definitely ready for a good night! And he didn’t disappoint. For two hours, the man talked and cavorted around, without taking a sip of water! I don’t know where he gets the energy. He was so funny, The Husband had a headache from laughing and my throat was burning. He took us through prehistoric times, parts of the Bible, Vikings, Jazz Chickens, Intelligent Design and getting out to vote. It was so totally worth going to see him live. I think the LA shows are his last on the Stripped Tour but if I’ve got you curious, he’s got plenty of DVD’s out. I recommend Dressed to Kill if you haven’t seen him before.

No comments: