Saturday, February 21, 2009

Only in Cali


The Husband and I found ourselves with time on our hands today. I won’t bore you with the details of the travails we’re having with our automobiles. Suffice to say we’re still driving a rental (we were supposed to have it till Friday, today’s Saturday…) and since we found out we had to keep it when we were so close to the beach, we thought we’d have ourselves a nice walk on Balboa Island.

Balboa, a 5 minute ferry ride from Newport Beach, is one major piece of real estate. The smallest, tiniest houses are worth 7 figures there. Even though they’re crammed together with inches of space between dwellings.

But we don’t really care about living conditions… Ok, I admit we have Island Envy and would move there in a heartbeat…


But for now, firmly rooted in reality, we just like to walk the 2.2 miles around the outer perimeter, looking at the houses and docks and yachts and ducks and, oh, yeah, these wild examples of Cali style decorating…




A chicly rusted llama, for a private dock…



As the husband says, some people can afford to import their own national monuments…


This Dinosaur gets the royal treatment during the holidays~~lights and ornaments~~and a front row seat for the world famous Parade of Lights boat show…

Life has been a little hectic lately, not much art being made around Casa Bear Chick, but I went to one of my fave bead shops tonight for a midnight madness sale and I am terrifically inspired by the beads and charms I got great deals on! As soon as the taxes are ready to go to the tax lady, I’ll be beadin’ up a storm!

1 comment:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Ha, I know exactly where that Statue of Liberty is on the island! It always cracks me up. If you two walk the island a lot then you've probably seen the house with all the stuffed animals peering out the window. I always wonder what the owners of those eccentric abodes look like.